6.01.2009

Julia Sherman's Art Walk in Highland Park


Last weekend I found myself in a ready-set-go mood, especially on Friday after getting a first hand and ushered look at the development of "The Runaways" movie and meeting for the first time anyone with an Academy Award I felt good-to-go. So, when an Art Walk over in a a far off 'hood was suggested I was down, off to Highland Park I was after the end of a short work week.

Nat and I made it after one missed turn and countless re-route suggestions, anything to avoid the 10, 110, or 101 freeways we made it to the first of three houses that boasted art from the people and yummy-yummy eats. I was particularly enchanted by the work of Allison O'Daniel, which consisted of about 30 hair blow-dryers half of which were painted gold, the other half painted black. At first upon entering the white washed room and finding the blow-dryers on the ground arranged in clumps according to their color, with power ends entangled together at the center I was let-down. Humm? Another art school flounder. Was there an artist statement, no, not one to be found. Alone, I began my ascend further into the house yet as I was one step out of the room I heard human voices posing to be blow-dryers....the devices were singing!!!!  

Each hair blow-dryer was uniquely fashioned with a speaker and sang a different tune. After a few start up shreeks and dye off cut outs the blow-dryers in unison started an ethnic chant that, well could resemble hair blow-dryers. I was struck down and throughly enchanted. Loved it.