3.08.2009

Dresses for a dress, to be dressed right off the wall!


Yet again, another weekend come and gone, but as far as my nose can sniff there is fun to be had. In an impulse move I headed over to catch the opening reception at Gallery 825 on La Cienga last night. Fellow Arlington artist Susy had her most recent works up. Upon walking in I was captured very much so by the cutesey craftage of Gwen M. Samuels' work of dresses for all women woven and constructed out of digital images printed on film. Fascinating! 

Even though one of my dear fashion icons recently plucked out her once trademark Babydoll dress I was starting to write her a letter to beg her to return to her roots. Gazing at Babydoll, flapper, or floor length sundress, these dresses of Samuels are imaginative. All are texture filled to some degree due to the colorful consistently ratty stitching, which adds a real life quality to some pieces, or clear fabric reproduction with creased film mimicking pleats! She got my attention. Let her get yours at her website and see the full collection.