
R.I.P. recluse writer J.D. Salinger
He was the one who made me love to read at the age of 16. The day I met him I skipped the last two periods of school to finish my first novel in one sitting then to return to campus and host the pep rally assembly on behalf of fall sports team captains, oh god high school. The latter touch here is another story, but really the story today is about wildly influential writer to the post WW2 crowd Mr. J.D. Salinger.
I had the opportunity to brush with Matt Salinger, J.D.'s son this past year and tell him simply;
"Oh, Matt I really must ask because I know who your father is, can you please tell him thank you. I only began to love to read after I encounter Catcher in the Rye. It saved me and helped me to figure out how to play the education game."
"You know what, let me say your welcome, Lorraine. I'll be sure to tell him! It's always the other way around. (Look of bewilderment) He'll get a good laugh out of this one. What do you mean education game?"
"How to pass the class of life. Reading is self teaching. Been devouring since."
"Clever."